This is a blog for the children and grandchildren of Kelvin and Arta Johnson. It is a place to share stories or answers to questions. I have made it so we can all write and edit the blog. In privacy settings I have chosen - not listed on blogger and not visible to search engines. Bonnie
Thursday, November 6, 2014
What I want to be when I grow up?
I first remember wanting to be a doctor when I was in grade 7. I didn't dare tell anyone because I wasn't sure that I could do it, and I didn't want to tell my dream to anyone and then not reach it. Quietly I thought about it for many years. I tried to think of myself doing another job, but nothing else seemed right for me. I knew for sure I should be a doctor in about grade 9 or 10 when I attended a job fair event.
We watched a video of open heart surgery by a Cardiac Surgeon Dr Dennis Modry from Edmonton. He performed the first heart-lung transplant in Alberta in 1985 just as I was finishing high school. I couldn't believe the video. It was totally amazing. I was so excited.
Here is some more information about Dr Modry and the history of heart surgery in Alberta
http://www.universityhospitalfoundation.ab.ca/Hospital_Highlights
My friends sitting nearby were saying -- "Gross", "that is so disgusting", etc. All I could think was, "That was totally awesome".
So I did it! I became a doctor.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.