Sunday, October 12, 2014

Family Differences

Naomi asks this question: "What does/did your family do that is/was different from other families?"

Dear Naomi,

Our family was a skipping family. My dad had ropes and here are the ways he used them. He could skip double-time. That means when he would skip he would be in the air and the rope would hit the ground once, and he could do it while skipping pepper.

Our rope didn't have a handle. <br/>
It was purchased from a long coil at Chesney's hardware.<br/>
Doral tied the ends to keep them from fraying.
He could also lasso with that rope. He taught me how to do it. Make a slip knot. Then take the rope and move it past the slip know a ways and then circle the rope above your head, holding the other rope loosely coiled and in your left hand. I practiced this for a long time.

As well he had a long rope that we could use for Double Dutch.

When I grew up I told him that I wanted ropes so I could teach my children all of those things. He got me a long double dutch rope and we still use it – I got it out for the LaRue 50th Anniversary Party and anyone who came to the party could skip with that old rope that Doral bought for me.

I know lots of skipping rhymes.

There was a little teddy bear, his name was Tim ….

Spanish Dancers turn around ….

John and Janey sitting in a tree …

Those rhymes helped us keep the cadence of the rope while we were jumping.

 So that is the story of what my family did that was different than other families.

What does your family do, Naomi, that is different than other families?

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.